Open Access Repository for Anthropology

Kerim Friedman oxusnet at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 03:04:00 UTC 2007

Forwarded announcement about an exciting new Open Access anthropology
repository. Please help make this work!

Cheers,

Kerim

** from Savage Minds blog
http://savageminds.org/2007/10/05/please-submit-to-manao/ **

It is with great pleasure that I request submissions for MANAO — an Open
Access repository for anthropology sponsored by the Department of Anthropology
at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa. In Hawai'ian "mana'o" means
thoughts, ideas, knowledge, or opinions—when making decisions together
people in Hawai'i often ask for each other's mana'o. The Mana'o
project combines anthropology's commitment with the ideal of 'open
access' with open source software's focus on free technology. The goal is
to provide tools that allow scholars to better communicate with each other and
with the world.

Mana'o will 'soft-launch' in late-November 2007 during the annual
meeting of the American Anthropological Association in Washington D.C. We are
currently inviting early adopters to submit work that will be featured in this
launch. At the moment we are specifically interested in:

BA Theses
MA Theses
Ph.D. Theses
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
Papers given at academic conferences
Digitized books

If you would like to deposit your work with us, simply email it to
submissions at manaoproject.org and our staff will process it and deposit it in
Mana'o. If you already have your publications online, simply send us the URL
and we will process the material ourselves.

Please note that we can only deposit documents that are in the public domain,
documents for which you clearly hold the copyright, or documents for which the
copyright owner (typically, the publisher) permits authors to deposit their
work in a repository such as this. Unfortunately, this does not include PDFs
of your dissertation created by UMI (unless you have used the UMI Open Access
publishing option). We can, however, accept the electronic documents that you
submitted to UMI when you deposited your dissertation with your university
library. If you are unsure who owns the copyright to the work you wish to
submit, we can work with you to determine your rights.

Anthropologists have long been concerned with making their world available to
the public, including the communities with whom they have lived and conducted
fieldwork. Mana'o represents an important step forward in creating concrete
open access solutions for anthropology. I hope that you will be part of our
initial program, and I look forward to receiving your submission!

Please circulate this call for submissions as widely as possible. If you are
interested in volunteering for the project, please do not hesitate to contact
me at golub at hawaii.edu.

Thank you,
Alex Golub, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Anthropology