Linganth graduate applications sought at University of Pittsburgh

Emily McEwan-Fujita emilymcfujita at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 16:47:14 UTC 2007

Dear LingAnth and SLA List Members,

  If you have talented undergraduate students who are considering applying to graduate school in the area of linguistic anthropology, I would like to draw your attention to our graduate program in anthropology at University of Pittsburgh. We are seeking new high-quality Ph.D. students in the area of linguistic anthropology.

  Our program is selective in admissions, but for all admitted students we offer a full funding package and ample opportunities to gain teaching experience. Pittsburgh itself has been rated America’s Most Livable City.

  I am a linguistic anthropologist in a tenure-track position who works in the geographical area of Western Europe on Scottish Gaelic language shift and revitalization, standard language ideologies, and language, ethnicity and nationalism. Other Anthropology faculty members have additional strengths in Europe; Latin America; Asia and the Pacific; ethnicity, nationalism & the state; and medical anthropology. We have a joint MPH/PhD program with the Pitt School of Public Health. Pitt also has very strong area studies centers for Latin America, Western Europe and the European Union, Russia and Eastern Europe, and Asia and the Pacific. My own offerings include graduate-level courses on Language, Ethnicity & Nationalism, Endangered Languages, and Language, Identity & Power.  We have a linguistic anthropology core course for graduate students, and other colleagues offering linganth-related courses include Terry Kaufman (Anthropology) and Scott Kiesling (Linguistics).

  If your student is interested in a campus visit, please have them contact me (emcewan at pitt.edu) and our graduate secretary, Phyllis Deasy (pdeasy at pitt.edu). Our department website with application information is http://www.pitt.edu/~pittanth/.

  Sincerely,

  Emily McEwan-Fujita

  Emily McEwan-Fujita, Ph.D.
  Assistant Professor