KAS CFP--Anthropology of Hip Hop (Please Forward!)

ndumas at berkeley.edu ndumas at berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 4 14:35:01 UTC 2007

Kroeber Anthropological Society Papers: Call for Perspective Essays

“The Anthropology of Hip Hop: How Do You Do It?”

The Kroeber Anthropological Society Papers invites scholars to submit
perspective essays for a year-long series on the methodologies of the
Anthropology of Hip Hop. By Hip Hop, we refer not only to the musical
form, but also other facets such as dance, clothing, videos, magazines,
and other communicative practices that constitute Hip Hop subjectivities.
As an object of anthropological study, Hip Hop has helped us to understand
language and (counter)discourses as means of constituting and contesting
conceptions of identity, place, and inequalities in local, translocal, and
international settings . At the same time, there has been little
collaborative discussion by anthropological scholars on how an
Anthropology of Hip Hop complicates, intersects with and re-invigorates
conventional anthropological methods.  Our aims in this series are to
foster such discussions and develop resources for future scholarship along
these lines of inquiry. (Furthermore, even though we say “the”
Anthropology of Hip Hop, we assume and encourage variation--as opposed to
homogeneity--of practices as part of the field.) We are soliciting papers
that focus on topics including, but not limited to:

•	If and how the Anthropology of Hip Hop calls for multi-sited ethnography
and what sites have been privileged and neglected
•	Questions of access and ethics in doing ethnography with producers,
distributors, and consumers of Hip Hop in “formal” and “informal”
economies
•	The challenges of transcribing Hip Hop as verbal and musical art to
capture its aesthetic, interactional, and political dimensions
•	The strengths and limitations of interdisciplinary research teams in
anthropological studies of Hip Hop
•	The establishment of Hip Hop archives for future data storage and
analysis and how their creation complements discussions on the politics of
representation

Essays should be 12-15 pages, double-spaced, and follow the general
formatting guidelines of KAS Papers submissions. Essays still requiring
significant editing will not be considered. For more information, contact
section editors Nate Dumas (ndumas at berkeley.edu) and Jelani Mahiri
(jelani.mahiri at gmail.com). First Submission Deadline: Wednesday, November
7, 2007.

Papers must be sent directly to:
Kroeber Anthropological Society, Department of Anthropology
232 Kroeber Hall
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, California  94720-3710
Email: kroas at OCF.berkeley.edu

--
Nate Dumas, M.A.
Doctoral Student, Linguistic Anthropology