Morales "speaks

Ronald Kephart rkephart at unf.edu
Tue Oct 9 12:30:36 UTC 2007

My apologies for cross-posting, but I had to share this with everybody.
Former president of Mexico Vicente Fox was on The Daily Show last night.
John Stewart mentioned that Evo Morales had been on last week, but needed an
interpreter. Asked whether he thought Morales spoke English, Fox said "no,
he speaks his dialect, because he is indigenous." The video can be found
here:

http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/player.jhtml?ml_video=&ml_collection
=24446&ml_gateway=&ml_gateway_id=&ml_comedian=&ml_runtime=&ml_context=show&m
l_origin_url=%2Fmotherload%2F%3Fml_collection%3D24446&ml_playlist=&lnk=&is_l
arge=true

This is such a great example of the use of "dialect" as a putdown, I may
play it for my linguistics class. For those who don't know, by the way,
Morales's "dialect" is Aymara: he happens to be the first indigenous
president of a Latin American country. And, in Fox's opinion, he's
"terrible."

Ron