baboons ¹ ability seems language- like

Alexander King a.king at abdn.ac.uk
Wed Oct 10 22:03:39 UTC 2007

I'm glad I'm not the only one that couldn't find the sentences in the
example. Isn't it pretty well established that many animals have call
systems with clear social functions, such as warning others of
danger, establishing hierarchies, mating preparation, etc.? I have
interacted with a lot of domestic animals, from cats to cows, and
they all pay little attention to each other or me when the goings ons
are 'normal interaction'. When one does something abnormal, such as
run around yelling and waving one's arms, animals I know usually act
surprised--they ran away! My interaction with wild animals has been
more limited, but the same pattern seems to hold.

Animals easily recognize each other through the sonic qualities of
their calls -- the sounds of their voices. Seal moms and pups quickly
learn to recognize one another by the sounds of their voices, and
moms bark and listen for their pup's answer when coming back from
hunting to find their pups on the beach--in the midst of 100s of
seals (source: Animal Planet on BBC). These aren't sentences. Reading
the NYT article is really annoying--claims that this pair is full of
unique insight into animal behavior that any hunter or farmer already
knows and comparisons of baboon society to 19th century Victorian
women. The speculations on evolution strike me as typical stuff,
hardly insightful.

Maybe Cheney and Seyfarth are doing cutting-edge work, but you can't
tell from the way it was described in the NYT.

Alex

University of Aberdeen  http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology
            Koryaks Net  http://www.koryaks.net

tel:+44(1224)27 2732