baboons ability seems language-like - devil in the like

Janina Fenigsen fenigsen at gwm.sc.edu
Sun Oct 28 17:44:04 UTC 2007

I actually suggest (rather than argue, that would imply a more thought-trough process) the opposite: that it is perhaps our metapragmatic ability (if anything) that may be distinguishing us from baboons (and others).

janina

Peter Patrick wrote:

At 14:27 15-10-2007 +0100, Patrick, Peter L wrote:
>It seems to me that what is going on with the baboons is still not (very)
>linguistic, and involves not sentences but rather adjacency pairs. Though
>familiar from CA, these need not necessarily involve language - lots of
>interactional things we do could be classified as adjacency pairs w/o
>having speech occur.

Yes, but perhaps not ;-).  As you know, the relationship between the two
parts of an adjacency pair is not causal, as it is in an stimulus-response
pair. Rather, it works by virtue of preference organization, which arises
from the 'projection' of the first part toward a preferred second part. But
as far as we know baboons don't have displacement, so they cannot decide
NOT to utter the second part, or to postpone it, or to produce an ironic
one, or... From what I understand, in the baboon world, once the
hierarchical relationship between two individuals is established, a threat
call is an index of that relationship, and a fear scream is, too. So,
baboons are surprised as if they suddenly heard a scream of pain in a
healthy individual and immediately AFTER they saw a big rock falling on its
leg. As the authors say, in their experiment, baboons establish a causal
relationship between the two events, and they perceive there's a strange
reversal of the natural order.

But there are two elements in this supposed "adjacency pair": "speech act",
and "speaker's identity". The problem with interpreting the
Threat-by-Subordinate-Individual => Fear-Scream-by-Dominant-Individual
sequence in terms of preference organization is to determine what exactly
is reversed or altered: whether (a) the "illocutionary force signalling
device" of the second turn (which the authors curiously lump together with
social relationships etc. into "propositional information"), that is, the
call type itself, or (b) the identity of the speaker (the 'I hereby' part),
which is indicated by the indexical voice quality that identifies a
dominant individual when it naturally should be the voice of a more
subordinate one -- in Austin's terms, one of the "felicity conditions"
fails: that the speaker be the right one or have the right identity.

So, we don't know what specifically surprises baboons in this experiment.
But if we humans hear a comparable sequence (say, president Evo Morales
threatens president Bush with an invasion and president Bush screams with
fear, with all my respect for Morales), we understand that there's more
going on there: either Bush is being ironic, or Morales is speaking on
behalf of the entire world except the USA in the UN, or we expect yet a
third turn, or we understand both turns are FIRST parts of different pairs
and expect the completion of both perhaps by other individuals, or we think
we have missed some previous turn (say, that Bush had first threatened
Morales and Morales retorted with another, face-saving threat), or Bush has
chosen to interpret Morales' turn, whatever it said, as a real threat in
order to invade Bolivia (remember Grenada?, Iraq?, Vietnam?, will we see it
in Iran?...), etc. etc. Which interpretation to take would depend on a
large number of contextual factors.

So, it is preference organization, not causality, that underlies the
production of adjacency pairs, because these are "normative practices",
aren't they?  And social normative practices cannot be understood without
dettachment-from-stimulus, prevarication, intentionality, that is, the
ability to choose and to deceive in communication. And as far as we know,
baboons don't choose their responses, do they?  If baboons chose their
surprise toward the second baboon's choice, and that they do "parse"
sequential organization.

I don't think this experiment proves that baboons have pragmatics, as
Janina Fenigsen argues. It seems to show they have a sense of causality,
yes, which the authors themselves mention.

-celso
Celso Alvarez Cáccamo