Attachments, anyone?

Richard J Senghas Richard.Senghas at SONOMA.EDU
Wed Jul 2 05:56:53 UTC 2008

Hello LINGANTHers,

Long ago, when this list was first formed, many of us worked on
computers with very limited disc space, limited display capabilities,
and in places where slow modem dial-up connections were the norm
(remember those big and clunky 300 & 1200 baud modems?).  We chose
back then to avoid permitting attachments on LINGANTH postings
because they were often catastrophic cloggers when downloading
incoming e-mail.  When HTML came along (the ability for various fonts
and formatting), the extra load from the HTML code was also a problem
for many subscribers, so we did not allow HTML in postings to the
list, either.  Later, the risk from viruses spread via attachments
(especially via macros embedded in Word & Excel files) encouraged us
to maintain the policy of no attachment files.

Is it time to lift those restrictions?  Are there subscribers who
would prefer to maintain the policy of no attachments, and no HTML
postings?  Is there much interest in allowing the use of same?  Would
such capacities allow for useful exchange of materials?  Or are we
happy with things as they are, with sending of such files limited to
private communications between subscribers off-list?

If a consensus emerges, I'm willing to follow it.  If there's no
consensus, I'll do my best to make an informed decision based on
whatever issues are raised in any ensuing discussion.

  Best regards to all,

-Richard