Attachments, anyone?

Susan Seizer sseizer at INDIANA.EDU
Wed Jul 2 18:47:57 UTC 2008

I vote to allow attachments and HTML postings at this point. It
facilitates circulatation of ideas re: phenomena in the public sphere
about which we may be thinking.
best,
Susan Seizer

On Jul 2, 2008, at 1:56 AM, Richard J Senghas wrote:

> Hello LINGANTHers,
>
> Long ago, when this list was first formed, many of us worked on
> computers with very limited disc space, limited display
> capabilities, and in places where slow modem dial-up connections
> were the norm (remember those big and clunky 300 & 1200 baud
> modems?).  We chose back then to avoid permitting attachments on
> LINGANTH postings because they were often catastrophic cloggers when
> downloading incoming e-mail.  When HTML came along (the ability for
> various fonts and formatting), the extra load from the HTML code was
> also a problem for many subscribers, so we did not allow HTML in
> postings to the list, either.  Later, the risk from viruses spread
> via attachments (especially via macros embedded in Word & Excel
> files) encouraged us to maintain the policy of no attachment files.
>
> Is it time to lift those restrictions?  Are there subscribers who
> would prefer to maintain the policy of no attachments, and no HTML
> postings?  Is there much interest in allowing the use of same?
> Would such capacities allow for useful exchange of materials?  Or
> are we happy with things as they are, with sending of such files
> limited to private communications between subscribers off-list?
>
> If a consensus emerges, I'm willing to follow it.  If there's no
> consensus, I'll do my best to make an informed decision based on
> whatever issues are raised in any ensuing discussion.
>
> Best regards to all,
>
> -Richard

> Richard J. Senghas, Professor            | Sonoma State University
> Anthropology/Linguistics                 | 1801 East Cotati Avenue
> Coordinator, Linguistics Program         | Rohnert Park, CA 94928-3609
> Richard.Senghas[at]sonoma.edu            | 707-664-3920 (fax)

Susan Seizer
Associate Professor
Department of Communication and Culture
Indiana University
800 East Third Street
Bloomington, IN 47405-9700
phone: 812-856-1986
fax: 812-855-6014
email: sseizer at indiana.edu
website: www.stigmasofthetamilstage.com
Objects in calendar are closer than they appear.