Correction: ISO Reading on Sapir-Whorf

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 11 03:48:17 UTC 2008

I like the first couple of pages of the original Whorf "Habitual" piece.
 Takes a bit of unpacking but it is nice for undergrads to read the original
and the empty gasoline cans makes sense to people.
I have paired it with
Pullman, Geoffrey (2006) Does our language influence the way we think? in
E.M. Rickerson & B. Hilton (eds) The 5 Minute Linguist.  London: Equinox,
pp. 70-74.

Which is a short snappy very linguistic oriented piece that basically argues
that anyone can say anything in any language--an anti-Whorfian POV to stir
up some debate in the class.

Like the whole 5 Minute Linguist book.  60 very short readable pieces by
linguists and a few linguistic anthropologists, and a real bargain at $12 or
so.

best,

Leila