Correction: ISO Reading on Sapir-Whorf

Alexander King a.king at ABDN.AC.UK
Fri Jul 11 13:11:41 UTC 2008

I like al the pages of the Whorf's "Habitual" piece and all the pages
of many of his other essays, including "Science and Linguistics",
"Linguistics as an exact science," "Language, mind, and reality",
"The punctual and segmentative aspects of verbs in Hopi," and several
others. I would not hesitate to ask "very bright" first-year
undergraduates to read ALL of "The relation of habitual thought and
behavior to language." Our first-year anthropology students read it a
Aberdeen, and it was sometimes taught in ANTH101 at UVa when I was
there in the 1990s. I find that the bright students do understand
Whorf and find his ideas inspiring. I provide background, some
explanations, and common misunderstandings of Whorf in a lecture
cribbed from Penny Lee's wonderful book, The Whorf Theory Complex
(Benjamins), which is the most comprehensive, cogent, and sensible
discussion of Whorf I have ever read.

I haven't seen the 5 Minute Linguist (have to get that, though,
sounds cool), so I don't know Pullman's chapter, but from what Leila
describes, it strikes me as a typical misunderstanding of Whorf's
point. Of course any smart person can say anything in any language,
that's missing the point. If Whorf were more of a pedant, he would
have given his essay the more descriptively accurate title, "The
relation of habitual thought and habitual behavior to habitual
language." The wonderful (and hilarious) examples  in the
introduction are not of people trying to communicate or solve
problems, but rather of people quickly arriving at commonsensical
solutions to an emergency and finding an answer "unencumbered by the
thought process," to quote my other favorite MIT alums (Click &
Clack). Their post-fire explanations to the insurance adjustor gave
voice to this unreflective thought connected to some admittedly
stupid actions.

While Whorf does occasionally present examples of vocabulary or usage
in his argument about the interpenetration of language and culture,
his main point and interest are the inescapable grooves of thought
too convenient to avoid presented to us by the grammatical relations
of our language. These larger patterns--obsession with aspect,
evidentiality, duration, etc.--in Hopi are dramatically different
from the unrelenting reification throughout English and other SAE
languages. He provides some nice discussion near the end of the essay
of connections between these different linguistic patterns and
consequently different cultural patterns. His conclusions, however,
are as plain as they are revolutionary and foundational:

"There are connections but not correlations or diagnostic
correspondences between cultural norms and linguistic patterns.
Although it would be impossible to infer the existence of Crier
Chiefs from the lack of tenses in Hopi, or vice versa, there is a
relation between a language the rest of the culture of the society
which uses it. There are cases where the 'fashions of speaking' are
closely integrated with the whole general culture, whether or not
this be universally true, and there are connections within this
integration, between the kind of linguistic analyses employed and
various behavioral reactions and also the shapes taken by various
cultural developments."

I try to allocate about 20 minutes in discussion sections unpacking
these three sentences. I read them as the foundation of all
linguistic anthropology, in no small part because Dell Hymes placed
such importance on Whorf's nice phrase 'fashions of speaking' in the
development of his own thinking and his 'way of speaking' approach.

I would recommend just assigning Whorf and work on getting students
to understand the subtlety of his arguments. That is plenty of work
enough, and well worth the effort. Indeed, our first year
anthropology students read this essay in year one as part of a theme
on language generally. Then in year two I teach a course in which I
make them read it again, plus "Science and Linguistics." Many hadn't
understood "Habitual thought" the first time around anyway, but most
(even those not so bright) seem to get the general ideas the second
time around.

I could go on (and I do, at times!), but I think both the force and
direction of my opinions should be clear.

best,
Alex

- tel:+44(1224)27 2732, fax:+44(1224)27 2552 - http://www.koryaks.net
- http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology