Changes afoot at last

Richard J Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Wed Jun 18 04:46:45 UTC 2008

Dear Linganth List Members,

After more than a decade of service provided by the University of
Rochester's Majordomo server, we will be migrating the Linganth list
to servers supported by LinguistList.org.  LinguistList.org has been
providing archival services for many years now, and they are
graciously offering to provide full listserv services.  The new
hosting location will allow us to avoid spam infiltration, and allow
for more automated subscription services.

Our current plans are to open Linganth list to unmoderated
subscription, given that we will be using a subscription process that
should prevent spammers from creeping on.  Assuming we aren't
assaulted by inappropriate postings from subscribers without
linguistic or anthropological backgrounds, we'll keep it an open
subscription process.  If necessary, we can always turn on the
moderated subscription option.

NOTE:  **When notified, you will need to take just a moment to
resubscribe.**  Once we switch over (likely in the next week or two,
assuming the folks at LinguistList.org don't get overloaded by other
issues), I will send a last message or two to the old Linganth list,
providing a link to the new subscription location, and the new
address for posting to the list.  This way we can ensure that all
addresses on the new list will be live and valid.  If you experience
any difficulties with that process, I will invite you to drop me a
note, and I'll be happy to help you out.

For those on summer breaks, I hope you are finding the time
productive (or restful, as the case may be!).

Best regards,

-RJS