Language and Linguistics - Shaw

Patrick, Peter L patrickp at essex.ac.uk
Mon Mar 10 15:11:56 UTC 2008

I think Barbara is right - GBS was, certainly for his day,
linguistically sophisticated.

He campaigned for a phonemic alphabet and even attempted to devise his
own - the Shavian alphabet (which however was actually implemented by
Kingsley Read, with a bequest from Shaw's will) has been incorporated
into Unicode, though I've never seen it used online except as a
curiosity.
            http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/shavian.html
Each symbol has a  name - some of them are wonderful - my favourites are
"Whoops", "Tsadey" and "Dep".
This was perhaps less of a crank project in his day than it now appears,
after many more spelling reformers have come and gone without affecting
common practice at all. The principle behind Shaw's approach (a phonetic
orthography which is visually distinct from the Roman alphabet) has
survived into some attempts to create standard orthographies for
newly-written languages, though I think they mostly now go the other
way. An obvious flaw of Shaw's system is that different spellings are
required for each accent of English...

Tolkien was another linguistically sophisticated writer...
            -peter-

Peter L Patrick
Dept. of Language and Linguistics
University of Essex