Video to DVD transfer?

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo lxalvarz at udc.es
Sat May 24 17:09:04 UTC 2008

Leila,

In MY experience: the easiest procedure for me by far has been a good DVD
recorder with a large internal HARD DRIVE (my brand is Panasonic, good
quality). The recorder takes any input: TV, VHS, analog or digital
camera... Once the recording is digitalized in the DVD-recorder hard drive,
you can then edit it, create chapters, etc., in order to burn individual
DVD's. When possible, choose the best output quality (up to 1 hour in a
regular, one-layer DVD).  If a single event is slightly longer than the DVD
storage capacity, you may compress it slightly, rather than slicing it.

Then you copy/convert these DVD files into the computer with any of a
number of freeware utilities. I don't work with MAC, but its software
should be able to import any video format. Copy protection usually works
only for commercial VHS and DVD, not for home-made recordings.

To digitalize audio, all you have to do is connect the audio player to the
DVD recorder and leave the video signal unplugged -- black image. Then you
convert the .VOB files into audio (WAV) with any utility. My DVD recorder
allows me to chose between uncompressed audio or Dolby Digital (AC3).

So, unless you have an excellent VHS-player - computer interface (good card
and software), I would really not attempt to digitalize large segments
directly in the computer. First, there may be noise (audio and video),
coming from the computer's internal circuitry. Second, the computer is
useless or it slows down while you digitalize video in real time, which is
very CPU-intensive. Third, the hard drive gets occupied with large files.
Fourth, TV/Video cards handle faulty input (such as that of old video
tapes) much worse than DVD recorders. Fifth, if electricity or anything
else fails in the computer, you may lose the entire recording (while the
DVD-recorder may be buffering and recording it -- if electricity fails, it
is as you had pressed the STOP button).

In a few words: an external DVD recorder is dedicated -- it is MADE
specifically for this.  It copies for you while you work in other things.

A video-DVD has this directory structure:

AUDIO_TS (usually empty)
VIDEO_TS (it contains the video, menu, and other files, with extensions
.VOB, .IFO and perhaps some others I don't remember)

The .VOB files are the video segments.  They are in MPEG-2 format, so some
video software recognizes them directly. Other software may need
conversion. Sometimes even copying the .VOB file to the hard drive and
changing its extension to .MPEG works for editing, though I would only
recommend it if direct import fails.

DVD's made in DVD recorders may have a protection system by which they
cannot be directly duplicated, in order to avoid massive copying. But this
is easy to circumvent: You just copy the .VOB and other files into a
VIDEO-TS directory created in the hard drive, add an empty AUDIO_TS
directory and that's it:

MY_DVD:
-- AUDIO_TS (empty)
-- VIDEO_TS (with .VOB and .IFO files)

Now you have the DVD structure that you can re-copy and re-burn.

One piece of advice, if I may:  Also buy an EXTERNAL hard drive for back-up
of all your digitalized files.

Another thing you should consider: What use are you going to make of these
DVDs? That is, are you going to convert them to other formats? (MOV, for
example).  If so, you should take into account the output resolution of the
MPEG-2 file of the DVD-recorder.  For example, my Panasonic outputs in 704
x 540 (PAL system), which is a somewhat odd, older resolution (720 x 540 is
more common). The video editing program should handle these specifications
in order to avoid distorsions in the output (for MOV, 640 x 480, for example).

Now, if you only want to "mount" the MPEG-2 files in DVD's with a menu (no
subtitling or editing), then your video software program should be able to
import them directly without converting them -- less quality loss.

One last point: If your university can do the digitalizations to DVDs for
free or for a reasonable fee, let technicians do it ;-) .

-celso