job advert-teaching fellow

Alexander King a.king at ABDN.AC.UK
Wed Oct 1 11:23:31 UTC 2008

Dear Colleagues,

The anthropology department at Aberdeen is looking for a 3-year
teaching fellow. We don't actually want to replace Tim Ingold so much
as hire someone who fits with what we do (see our departmental
description). The teaching load is actually very light compared to a
similar post in North America. We are very interested in someone
excited about teaching undergraduates, but who also has an active
research programme. I would welcome a fellow linguistic
anthropologist, but you will need to be a generalist in your
teaching--mostly social anthropology, although you may have the
chance to develop a new 4th-year course.

-Alex King

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology/about.php

Teaching Fellow in School of Social Science

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/jobs/display.php?recordid=SOC002R

The Department of Anthropology within the School of Social Science at
the University of Aberdeen seeks to appoint a Teaching Fellow
commencing on the 1 January 2009. The appointee will fill a gap in
the Department’s teaching provision left by the appointment of
Professor Ingold to the position of the Head of School of Social
Science. The Teaching Fellow will contribute to undergraduate and
postgraduate teaching as directed by the Head of Department,
undertaking all duties associated with offering one or two lecture
courses per academic year, and leading group tutorials. They will
also participate in the Department’s programme of research training
and seminars, contribute to administration, and undertake their own
research. This post will be offered for a period of 3 years.

Applications should take the form of a full CV, and include a
statement of up to two pages on the candidate’s experience in and
approach to teaching anthropology, and a statement of up to two pages
on the candidate’s research. Shortlisting will take place in late
October, and shortlisted candidates will be asked at that point to
supply examples of written work, and letters from three referees.

Informal enquiries may be addressed to James Leach
(james.leach at abdn.ac.uk).

To apply online for this position visit www.abdn.ac.uk/jobs or
alternatively you may request an application pack by emailing your
name and contact details to jobs at abdn.ac.uk or by telephoning our 24
hour answer service on (01224) 272727 quoting SOC002R.

Salary will be at £28,832 per annum on Grade 6 salary scale.

The closing date for the receipt of applications is 22 October 2008.
Interviews will be held on 17 November 2008.

- tel:+44(1224)27 2732, fax:+44(1224)27 2552 - http://www.koryaks.net
- http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology