cultural anthro opening at Rutgers

Laura M. Ahearn ahearn at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU
Mon Oct 13 18:49:26 UTC 2008

Dear Colleagues,

I want to draw your attention to a job opening here at Rutgers. It is
for a cultural anthropologist specializing in Latin America or the
Caribbean, but as you will see from the job ad copied in below, one of
the areas of possible expertise is language. We would therefore welcome
applications from linguistic anthropologists who are trained in cultural
anthropology as well and who would strengthen our Critical Interventions
in Theory and Ethnography (CITE) Program. Ability to teach our
Introduction to Linguistic Anthropology and/or Language and Social
Diversity classes would be a plus, but candidates must have a strong
background in social theory and must be able to contribute to teaching
and intellectual conversations in the field of cultural anthropology as
well as linguistic anthropology.

Please feel free to pass this announcement along to students and
colleagues elsewhere. Also, please don't hesitate to contact me if you
have any questions.

Laura

The Department of Anthropology at Rutgers, the State University of New
Jersey, invites applications for a tenure-track position in Cultural
Anthropology at the Assistant Professor level to start Fall 2009,
subject to the availability of funding. We seek someone with expertise
in Latin America or the Caribbean. The ideal candidate’s research will
engage questions of race and/or ethnicity, with preference for such
thematic areas as law, language, health, the state, or popular social
movements.

The successful candidate will strengthen the Department’s Critical
Interventions in Theory and Ethnography (CITE) program, which integrates
contemporary critical cultural and linguistic theories with deep
ethnographic engagement in a world transformed by globalization, with
special emphasis on the study of culture, equality, justice, and rights.

Candidates holding the Ph.D. are preferred, but in exceptional cases,
ABDs will be considered. Candidates should demonstrate excellence in
teaching, creative scholarship, and ongoing field research. Application
materials should include a curriculum vitae, a statement of research and
teaching interests, one writing sample of fewer than 30 pages, and the
names and contact information of three references. Send materials
(electronic submissions only) to cite-search at anthropology.rutgers.edu.
Review of applications will begin October 20, 2008 to allow some
interviews to be scheduled at this year’s annual meeting of the American
Anthropological Association.

As one of 34 public US institutions that belong to the Association of
American Universities, Rutgers is among the leading research
universities in the US and Canada. Rutgers University is an equal
opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, with a historic commitment to
diversity.

Laura M. Ahearn
Associate Professor
Graduate Program Director