Criticizing Chomsky

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 13 21:04:50 UTC 2008

Scanning the web for Chomsky's views on science (I'm being a good girl and
trying to work on our panel at the AAAs now rather than later), I came
across his Wikipedia page.  There was a section for criticism but no one had
actually filled it in.  The paragraph below is the start of my critique
(ripped off from my intro) but y'all are invited to play.  Unleash that
articulate pent up rage against the Chomsky machine!  I haven't put in any
refs yet.  Will try to when I get to them in my intro.

All best, Leila

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noam_Chomsky#Criticism
Since the 1960s, linguistic anthropologists have been critical of Chomsky's
emphasis on competence rather than performance. In 1972, Dell Hymes pointed
out that Noam Chomsky's (1965) idea that linguistic theory should the "ideal
speaker-listener, in a completely homogenous speech community" ignored the
reality of the actual language learning situations. "From the standpoint of
the children we seek to understand and help, such a statement may seem
almost a complete declaration of irrelevance" (Hymes 1972 [2001]: 53). Hymes
and other linguistic anthropologists argue instead for language models that
emphasize the interaction between sociocultural environment and the use of
language rather than language as an attribute of the brain.