Anthropology jobs at Temple University

Paul B. Garrett pgarrett at TEMPLE.EDU
Tue Oct 14 17:53:22 UTC 2008

  Dear Colleagues,

  I'm pleased to announce that the Department of
  Anthropology at Temple University has two
  tenure-track job openings at the assistant/advanced
  assistant professor level: one in linguistic
  anthropology, and one in sociocultural
  anthropology.

  I am attaching both job descriptions below, as there
  might be a few subscribers to this listserv for whom
  the sociocultural anthropology position is a better
  match than the linguistic anthropology position.

  I am serving as chair of the linguistic anthropology
  search committee and will be glad to answer any
  questions, so feel free to contact me off-list at
  paul.garrett at temple.edu.  We plan to interview
  candidates at the upcoming AAA conference in San
  Francisco.

  (Incidentally, our department website is rather
  badly outdated--our webmaster has been unable to
  make changes to it because of various unresolved
  technical issues, so if you consult it, please take
  it with a grain of salt.)

  Yours,
  Paul

  ===========

  LINGUISTIC ANTHROPOLOGY

  Temple University's Department of Anthropology seeks
  a linguistic anthropologist for a tenure-track
  assistant/advanced assistant professor position.
  Areas of language-related research and teaching
  specialization are open and may address any aspect
  of communicative practice, in any medium or
  modality.  Preference will be given to candidates
  whose training and doctoral degrees are in
  anthropology, and whose research and teaching are
  empirically grounded, ethnographic in orientation,
  historically informed, and strongly engaged with
  contemporary social theory.  The successful
  candidate will develop new courses and contribute to
  program-building initiatives in linguistic
  anthropology (as part of a four-field department) at
  both undergraduate and graduate levels.

  Temple University is an affirmative action, equal
  opportunity employer, and strongly encourages women
  and candidates from ethnic backgrounds typically
  under-represented in higher education to apply.  The
  deadline for applications is November 12, 2008.

  Candidates should submit a cover letter with a
  description of research and teaching interests,
  curriculum vitae that includes three references, and
  one or two article-length examples of research-based
  scholarly work.  Please send hard copies to:  Dr.
  Paul Garrett, Temple University, Department of
  Anthropology, Gladfelter Hall room 208, 1115 W.
  Berks Street, Philadelphia, PA  19122.

  ===========

  SOCIOCULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY

  Temple University's Department of Anthropology
  invites applications for a tenure-track
  assistant/advanced assistant professor position in
  sociocultural anthropology.  We are interested in
  candidates engaged with contemporary theories of
  power related to the dynamics of global capitalism,
  neoliberalism, and the state.  Topics of interest
  could include the new media, transnational
  migration, urban space and place, human rights,
  social movements and activism, religion and
  secularism, science, citizenship, and violence.
  Attention to visual modes of power is especially
  welcome.  Geographic specialization is open,
  although there is a preference for candidates
  working in urban communities.  Applicants should
  have demonstrated interest in ethnographic
  methodologies.  Candidates should be committed to
  teaching at one of the largest and most diverse
  universities in the U.S.

  Temple University is an affirmative action, equal
  opportunity employer, and strongly encourages women
  and candidates from ethnic backgrounds typically
  under-represented in higher education to apply.  The
  deadline for applications is November 12, 2008.

  Candidates should submit a cover letter with a
  description of research and teaching interests,
  curriculum vitae that includes three references, and
  one or two article-length examples of research-based
  scholarly work.  Please submit hard copies to:  Dr.
  Judy Goode, Temple University, Department of
  Anthropology, Room 208, Gladfelter Hall, 1115 W.
  Berks Street, Philadelphia, PA  19122.

Paul B. Garrett
Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology