Alaskan?

Jim festushaggen at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Mon Sep 8 14:31:35 UTC 2008

Hal,

Thanks for breaking down the details of this PNW accent I've discerned--with
examples no less!

Your encounter with the student is also interesting. It reminds me of some

At some point near the end of my entry-level composition classes--when
students are learning to argue their points logically into essay format--I
ask the open question: "So, does anyone have any idea what my political
views are?" (Having occasionally suffered  the political views of my own
teachers, I always present material in classes from a very politically
neutral standpoint.) Their responses are adamant: "You are very liberal,"
one says...or "I'd say you are pretty conservative," from another. I still
don't discuss my political views--but I use their uncertainty to emphasize
ways of making arguments in an academic setting.

It is amazing how students form opinions about us based on the least
significant details. But it comes down to the same assumptions--because the
students who are convinced that I'm liberal are usually pretty conservative
students--and vice versa. As is too often the case, any one perceived
difference seems to suggest to the perceiver that the perceived is based in
"an opposing" camp. A topic for Anthropological linguists and sociolinguists
to explain, no doubt...

Regional differences are a fascinating topic, as are student opinions of
these differences.

Jim Webb

http://www.uwosh.edu/filmandhistory/index.php
http://www.uwosh.edu/filmandhistory/events/documents/CinematicExtraterrestri