Alaskan?

Linda Lanz lanz at RICE.EDU
Mon Sep 8 16:02:36 UTC 2008

Hello all,

As a linguist and a native of Alaska (born and raised in Anchorage),
I felt I might have something to offer. I am certainly no expert on
dialectology, but these are my insights. For those who are curious, I
was born in Anchorage in 1977 and raised there all my life until I
left at the age of 18 for college. My father moved to Alaska from the
Lower 48 (California but he has a characteristic Iowa accent via his
parents) but my mother moved to Alaska as an infant and is a native
speaker of Alaskan English like myself.

First and foremost, every Alaskan I know thinks Sarah Palin has an
atypical (and even non-Alaskan) accent. I've seen a log of blogs
commenting on her dialect and generalizing about Alaskan English
because of it, but she is not a representative speaker. Furthermore,
Alaskans do not have a stereotypical Canadian accent (no Canadian
raising, for example), nor do we have a Midwestern/Fargo/Minnesota
accent.

Second, the dialects of English in Alaska have been only minimally
investigated. Harold Schiffman's observations are correct for general
Alaskan (not so-called "village English", another dialect(s)
entirely). We have cot-caught merger and other characteristics you'd
expect of a general Western dialect. Usually when I travel, people
either think I'm from California (or somewhere else on the west
coast) or can't quite place my accent. Alaskan English does have
unique slang but no unique phonological features come to mind. I do
think this is a dialect area that needs a lot more study, however.
You would need to be careful to choose speakers who are native
speakers of Alaska dialect(s), though, and not transplants.

The few studies that exist are older and don't take into account the
rapid population growth (the population of Alaska has more than
doubled in the last 30 years). Language is never static, of course,
but given the large, steady stream of new arrivals (both native and
non-native speakers of English) coming to an area that didn't have an
established dialect in the first place, there hasn't been much chance
for distinctive features to develop. Because we have large groups of
immigrants from places like Korea, American Samoa, and the
Philippines, emerging dialects of non-native English speakers should
be a fruitful source of inquiry as well, particularly with the rapid
semantic shift I would expect when immigrants from tropical
environments (like Samoa and the Philippines) move to Alaska.

Regards,
Linda Lanz
Dept. of Linguistics
Rice University