best definition of linguistic anthropology?

Alexandre Enkerli enkerli at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 19 20:45:23 UTC 2008

My personal definition will sound simplistic, but it works in some
contexts: the study of linguistic diversity.
See, I frame anthropology as the study of human diversity: biological,
linguistic, diachronic, and linguistic. Much of linguistic
anthropology (ethnolinguistics especially) connects to ethnographic
disciplines (which include cultural anthropology, of course, but also
folkloristics, ethnohistory, ethnomusicology, and even some parts of
sociology). But linguistic anthropology also connects, in its own
rights, with biological anthropology, archaeology, and cultural
anthropology.
Again, I know it sounds simplistic. But, in some contexts, it helps
people grok ling. anthro.
Then, we can talk about different categorizations of subfields. At
Montréal, we usually talked about sociolinguistics, ethnography of
communication, and ethnolinguistics. But some have different models to
describe disciplinary affiliations.
Which is all fine.

Alexandre Enkerli
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Concordia University
http://enkerli.wordpress.com/