Etymology of "Holding Thumbs"

Lars v. Karstedt lkarstedt at WEB.DE
Fri Dec 18 17:21:34 UTC 2009

In German we have the expression "to press one's thumb (den Daumen
drücken)" or "to hold one's thumb (den Daumen halten)", both meaning
"good luck". In the Duden vol. 11, (Redewendungen und sprichwörtliche
Redensarten), Mannheim, 1992, it says:

"The expression is probably based on the fact that one mechanically
tightens/cramps his hand while wishing for someone to accomplish
something (e.g. in a sports competition); cf. the English expression
'keep one's fingers crossed'. Superstitious conceptions centering around
the thumb (clamping one's thumb is supposed to prevent nightmares) may
also have played a role" (my translation)

A quick theory (to be validated): There is a Dutch verb "duimen",
meaning: "to hold someone's thumb". It could have made its way South
Africa via Afrikaans.

Regards, Lars

--

Lars von Karstedt