A Hymesian dream....

Richard J Senghas Richard.Senghas at SONOMA.EDU
Wed Dec 30 05:33:52 UTC 2009

A student of mine (and one of my better ones, at that) attached a note to her recent take-home exam, indicating she had to share with me a funny dream that she had had after working hard on her exam, and staying up late before the deadline.  What follows is quoted nearly verbatim:

Dell Hymes talked to me and said...

Dell Hymes:  "You're not doing linguistic anthropology."

me:	"What am I doing then?"

Hymes:	"You're S-L-E-E-P-I-N-G"

me:	"What does 'S' stand for?"

Hymes:	"Slacking"

me:	"then, 'L' is?"

Hymes:  "figure it for yourself."

....so I might (as far as the dream goes) have made Hymes angry?

- end of note -

Sometimes I really love this job!

-RJS