Call for Abstracts: "The Ends of Enregisterment: Shifting Indexes of Identity and Place"

Kathryn Remlinger remlingk at GVSU.EDU
Tue Feb 10 16:10:22 UTC 2009

Greetings all,

I am organizing a single session for AAA/SLA, "The Ends of Enregisterment:
Shifting Indexes of Identity and Place," and I am looking for a few more
participants.

I am specifically interested in papers that examine processes of
enregisterment (of dialect, language, or ritualized linguistic events) and
the relationship between these processes and levels of indexicality that are
related to identity and place. Ideally, papers will investigate the ways in
which linguistic features can have different social meanings--sometimes
synchronically, sometimes diachronically--thus simultaneously indexing
place, ethnicity and/or other social meanings, such as class and
authenticity. I'm also interested papers that consider the connections
between agency and identity and how this gets played out with the use (or
not) of indexed features.

If you are interested in participating in the session, please sent me an
abstract of 250 words by Monday, February 23.

Many thanks,
Kate Remlinger

Kathryn Remlinger, Professor
Department of English: Linguistics