Pronunciations

Robert Lawless robert.lawless at WICHITA.EDU
Wed Feb 11 23:21:14 UTC 2009

I looked up the pronunciation of "fillet" and heard fi let for both US
and UK (though fi la was listed but not spoken as a secondary
pronunciation). I've never heard a USAer say fi let, and if one did, I
suspect s/he would receive condescending stares. Am I correct? BTW my
British-trained Indian relatives say ba let, but the pronunciation for
site gave the pronunciation for for US and UK as ba la. Any comments or
corrections?