Pronuncations

Alexander King a.king at ABDN.AC.UK
Thu Jan 15 15:42:39 UTC 2009

I am not sure if this is generational so much as regional, although
change happens, of course. I don't pronounce the t in often or the
middle o in sophomore. I am from western WA state, born 1968. I first
encountered the ofTen pronunciation while living in Virginia. A fellow
grad student, about my age but from Baltimore, consistently said
ofTen. Struck me as weird, but I was getting a lot of weird-sounding
accents at the time, so I didn't think that much of it. I hear it a
lot in Scotland, too, even BBC radio Scotland.

Quick quiz of two Canadians on my hallway (both from Edmonton, both
mid-40s) one says 'ofTen' (but slightly voiced, unaspirated) and the
other says 'offen'. Jokes about north vs. south Edmonton ensued. The
'ofTen' Canadian lives with a Scot, for what that is worth.

I have never been aware of 3-syllable sophomore, and that
pronunciation has always been a joke in my circle of family/friends of
general NWC provenance, but including parents born 1940. I must
confess that it sounds stupid (writing as a native, no offense meant!).

-Alex

- tel:+44(1224)27 2732, fax:+44(1224)27 2552 - http://www.koryaks.net
- http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology