Fwd: biographical information about Dell Hymes

Barbara Johnstone bj4 at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Sat Jan 24 18:59:28 UTC 2009

Here is an unordered list of the suggestions I received.  Many thanks
to everyone for being so quick and generous!

Barbara

Dell was the Voeglins' student at Indiana, I think, but his encounter
there (during summers?) with Kenneth Burke was important.

Dell H. Hymes Papers, American Philosophical Society
http://www.amphilsoc.org/library/mole/h/hymes.htm

*Hornberger, Nancy H. 2001. Hymes, Dell Hathaway (1927- ). In Concise
Encyclopedia of Sociolinguistics, edited by Rajend Mesthrie and R. E.
Asher, pp. 882. New York: Elsevier.

Hornberger, N. H. (1999). Hymes, Dell Hathaway. Concise Encyclopedia
of Educational Linguistics. B. Spolsky. Oxford, Elsevier Science:
765-766.

-------------

*Excerpts (see especially pages 100-101):
Murray, Stephen O. 1998. American Sociolinguistics: Theorists and
Theory Groups. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
http://books.google.com/books?id=q_5wAAAAIAAJ&q=American+Sociolinguistics:+Theorists+and+Theory+Groups&dq=American+Sociolinguistics:+Theorists+and+Theory+Groups&pgis=1

The Biographical dictionary of social and cultural anthropology
(London, New York Taylor & Francis Routledge, 2004) has an entry for
him. Probably has most of that stuff -- and I think it's available
online.

There is an entry for Hymes in Spolsky's (1999) 'Concise Encyclopedia
of Educational Linguistics':
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/601516/description#description

The following from our Regenstein Library catalogue:
 1.

Title:  Biographical dictionary of social and cultural
anthropology / edited by Vered Amit.
Imprint:        London ; New York : Routledge, 2004.
Subject(s):     Anthropologists -- Biography -- Dictionaries.
Ethnologists -- Biography -- Dictionaries.
 2.
Title:  The Routledge dictionary of anthropologists / Gérald
Gaillard ; translated by James Bowman.