LSA proposed session/workshop on the study of co-speech gesture -- call for papers

Dana Osborne dosborne at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Jul 21 15:49:38 UTC 2009

Greetings,

We are assembling an exciting LSA panel exploring new methods in
research on co-speech gesture and signed languages, and we would like
to anyone who may be working on such projects to submit abstract
proposals. We are graduate students at the University of Arizona, and
have had the fortune to be able to work with new 3D motion-tracking
biomechanics technology in our recent research, and we are interested
in getting together researchers to talk about theoretical challenges
and complexities offered by this and other innovations. Of course, we
are also hoping to bring a higher profile to research in co-speech
gesture and signed languages at LSA.

Thus far, we have invited papers on such wide topics as spatial
deixis, the gestural performance of masculinity and the distinction
between verb- and satellite-framed languages as they shape co-speech
gestural systems. Any topic with methodological innovation and
theoretical implications is welcome!  We have a broad concept of
“methodological innovation” (this may even be in the form of a mixed
method approach) so please address any methodological or analytical
innovation briefly in your abstract.

Each presenter will be allotted 20 minutes and have 10 minutes for
questions and answers thereafter. If you would like to participate,
please let us know your topic by Sunday 26 July (or earlier if
possible), and send us an abstract of 200 to 500 words by Wednesday 29
July. Guidelines for your abstract may be found here:
http://lsadc.org/info/meet-ann10-abguide.cfm : please note that you do
not have to follow the anonymity requirement for a session paper.

Conference details:
Linguistic Society of America 2010 Conference
7-10 January 2010, Hilton Baltimore
You must register for the conference before 31 July in order for your
abstract to be accepted by the LSA's

We rely on word of mouth (or of hand, or of email) for publicity.
Please share this call with colleagues and students who are doing
research on gesture or sign. We welcome any questions you may have,
and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Dana Osborne dosborne at email.arizona.edu
Bryan James Gordon linguist at email.arizona.edu