Limbaugh Style

Robert Lawless robert.lawless at WICHITA.EDU
Tue Mar 3 15:18:39 UTC 2009

With Rush Limbaugh in the national news because of his recent speech to
the CPAC, I’ve been listening to his radio broadcasts for the past few
days, not for the content but for the style. One of the main
characteristics of his speech is that he leaves many sentences
unfinished rushing into a new sentence. The frequency of incompletions
seems to increase as his hysteria increases. I’m wondering whether this
is a practiced, conscious speech affectation or whether he can’t help
himself. Is there an expected or maybe unintended impact on the
listener? Does the behavior heighten the urgency of the message? Does it
irritate the listener? Is there a particular linguistic or literary
label for this speech pattern? Robert.