last minute CFP for AAA

Jess Weinberg weinberg at NMSU.EDU
Tue Mar 24 17:10:35 UTC 2009

We're still looking for a couple of participants for our session. Please
contact weinberg at nmsu.edu by Thursday 3/26 if you're interested in joining
the session. Thanks!

Linguistic Citizenship: Language Learning, Language Use, Literacies, and
the Nation

Organizers: Char Ullman and Jess Weinberg

This panel seeks to expand on previous work (including a previous AAA
session on linguistic citizenship) about the ways in which language
normalization, varieties of language usage, and processes of language
learning serve to produce national belonging and national incorporation --
or not.  Understanding citizenship to mean the power of the state to
confer legal documents on individuals, we also conceptualize it as Ong
does, seeing citizenship (little "c") as practices that "suggest, define,
and direct  adherence to democratic, racial, and market norms of
belonging" (Ong, 2003:15).  Linguistic citizenship then comes to include
particular literacy practices, modes of instruction, and legitimate as
well as illegitimate ways of speaking (or signing) and writing.