Corrected Abstract CFP SLA AAA

Barbara LeMaster lemaster at CSULB.EDU
Thu Mar 26 16:48:38 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I have modified the abstract I just sent, making it more "hearing-
friendly".  My apologies for double posting.

We are looking for a couple of participants for our session - this is
a follow on to work some of us have been thinking about for a long
time.  We are opening the discussion to people working on spoken
languages as well.  Please contact me lemaster at csulb.edu by Friday
3/27/09 if you are interested.

Many linguists anticipate the loss or moribund status of the majority
of languages within the next century. Clearly, documentation of
endangered languages has become a priority. Crawford (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/JWCRAWFORD/brj.htm
) argues “as many as half of the estimated 6,000 languages spoken on
earth are “moribund”; that is, they are spoken only by adults who no
longer teach them to the next generation. An additional 40 percent may
soon be threatened because the number of children learning them is
declining measurably.” We may ask whether there are identifiable socio-
cultural factors that lead to the emergence, maintenance and/or loss
of certain linguistic varieties over others; and whether some
processes are universal, while others are culturally specific. We may
ask about the role of community structure (about globalization, rural
or urban communities) in language loss, particularly in terms of
people’s relative integration with each other in their language
communities.

Language loss occurs in contact situations usually described in the
anthropological literature in terms of contact between two (or more)
cultures or languages. We may ask a number of questions about contact
communities. What kinds of communities are there?  What matters in
terms of language use?  What is the role of globalization? What are
the roles of urban or rural settings on languages used and
accommodations made? What language varieties exist in given
communities, and what kinds of language accommodations so speakers of
various languages or languages styles make?  What are the roles of
globalization, urban or rural contexts in terms of speaker integration
and in terms of language accommodation, maintenance, shift, and loss?
Is there or are there “critical agent(s)” which facilitate or serve as
catalysts toward or away from the emergence, use, loss, or maintenance
of any particular varieties? Is there a critical mass of people that
leads to or against the emergence and/or maintenance of indigenous
languages?

This session extends previous inquiries into this area that focused
primarily on deaf-hearing contact communities and invites papers that
explore these same general concepts among hearing communities using
spoken (and/or signed) languages.  From limited data considered to-
date, it appears that community structure (i.e., plentiful, or more
restricted access to linguistic, economic, and social resources in a
community) has a great affect on types of language accommodations made
by both hearing and deaf people and that from these accommodation
types, it may be possible to predict the kinds of community-level
linguistic repertoires which will emerge. In particular, when there is
high integration between hearing and deaf people in a community, the
majority of hearing people in a community accommodate to deaf
communicative needs, signed forms of spoken languages are rare, as is
political deafness (cf. LeMaster 1990, Johnson 1991). Yet, when there
is low integration between hearing and deaf people in a community,
deaf people are expected to accommodate to hearing people’s
communicative needs, resulting in the use of signed forms of spoken
languages and oralism, as well as the emergence of political Deafness.
Is there a parallel among hearing communities in terms of politicized
identities linked to languages used, and accommodations?

One characteristic which may apply universally to all deaf communities
(whether rural or urban, nonindustrialized or industrialized) is that
when “deafness” is normalized by society – usually through an emphasis
on visual and/or gestural, instead of oral/aural, face-to-face
interactions between deaf and hearing people (i.e., accommodation to
the deaf body’s requirement for language reception) – then deaf people
gain greater access (in general) to their community thereby lessening
the need for political deafness (LeMaster 1990: 53-89 & 217-247,
Johnson 1991: 471). Is there a parallel among hearing communities in
terms of normalized versus politicized identities?

Some researchers have attributed the depoliticization of deafness to
nonindustrial societies (Johnson 1991), others to rural and/or small-
scale societies (LeMaster 1990) or to high integration between deaf
and hearing people (LeMaster 1998). Certainly the nature of
interaction among members of small-scale societies may make
depoliticization of deafness more likely (Groce 1980, Johnson 1991).
But even in large-scale societies, institutions of socialization (such
as the residential deaf school) and other sub-organizational
institutions may have the effect of small-scale societies on language
and identity. On the other hand, LeMaster (1990) asserts that whenever
deafness is stigmatized, and the emphasis on face-to-face
communication is to mask the disability, then deafness will become
politicized and greater language and modality variation will be
present at the community-level linguistic repertoire.  Are there
parallels within hearing communities?

This session begins this exploration of language contact outcomes at
the level of linguistic repertoires for contact communities in
Ireland, Eritrea, Nicaragua, Solomon Islands, and the United States.

Dr. Barbara LeMaster
Chair, Department of Anthropology
Professor, Departments of Anthropology and Linguistics
(CSULB) California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840
FO3-303
(562) 985-5037