Gentle Request

Richard J Senghas richard.senghas at SONOMA.EDU
Fri Mar 27 03:22:20 UTC 2009

[Redirected to the list at Maggie Ronkin's request.  -RJS]
-----------------
Hello all,

I have an interesting query from a student at Oberlin College, where
I am temporarily teaching a course titled Language in the USA.  We
are using Finnegan’s and Rickford’s 2004 text and have not reached
the section on language ideologies, which may prove to be relevant
and helpful.  Most students in the course are bright, articulate, and
energetic sophomores with no exposure to linguistic anthropology or
sociolinguistics.  Given this brief background, Eric Gibbs is
pursuing a course project on the role of Latin education in the USA.
Eric has studied Latin and some of his topical interests are:

historic ideas of the importance of Latin as part of a liberal arts
background.
pedagogic points that have been stressed in relation to 1.
the role of Latin in the contemporary context, including its place in
the collegiate curriculum, medicine, and law, and ideas in
circulation about how relevant learning a dead language is in
relation/comparison to learning modern spoken languages.

He is having difficulty finding sources that are more current than
the first half of the twentieth century, and would like to do so.  It
would be great if anyone could suggest some readings, especially
readings in linguistic anthropology and/or on ‘Latin language
ideology’.  Eric would be happy to receive mail directly at:

Eric.Gibbs at oberlin.edu

Thank you very much.

Maggie Ronkin
ronkinm at hotmail.com

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Richard J Senghas