Borders and Identities Conference 2010: Jan 2010, Newcastle, UK

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Fri May 15 12:18:58 UTC 2009

Forwarded from LINGUIST, with apologies for cross-postings. I encourage you
to submit and come, since I am part of the organising team! Linguists,
political and social geographers, and people in other allied disciplnes are
invited.

Best wishes

Damien

===================

Message 1: Borders and Identities Conference 2010
Date: 13-May-2009
From: Dominic Watt <dw539 at york.ac.uk>
Subject: Borders and Identities Conference 2010

Full Title: Borders and Identities Conference 2010
Short Title: BIC2010

Date: 08-Jan-2010 - 09-Jan-2010
Location: York, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Dominic Watt
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: http://www.york.ac.uk/res/aiseb/bic2010/

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 01-Jul-2009

Meeting Description:

While research on borderlands is well-established in the social sciences,
it is only within recent years that interest in such regions as sites of
particular relevance has taken hold within the fields of sociolinguistics
and the sociology of language. Findings from studies on the relationships
between and interdependence of language, borders and identities are of
great value for many other disciplines within the social sciences -
anthropology, human geography, and political science, among others. In the
same way, the insights from social scientific research in border areas
provide sociolinguists with challenging new theoretical frameworks within
which to situate empirical evidence revealing the exact nature of the role
language plays in identity-making and -marking in sites where identity is
fluid, complex and emergent in social interaction.

The Borders and Identities Conference (BIC2010) has two aims: 1) to
demonstrate our current state of knowledge in this fast-developing area of
sociolinguistic inquiry, and 2) to provide an interdisciplinary perspective
in order that the results of recent sociolinguistic studies on the topic
can be contextualised in broader social scientific discourse. Our principal
objective in organising the meeting is to foster new collaborative research
initiatives by bringing together scholars in allied disciplines, with a
view to extending and refining our understanding of the language-identity
nexus in regions where in-group and out- group categorisations may be
problematic, or at least more salient than elsewhere.

Keynote Addresses:

Dave Britain (Essex) 'Where North meets South?: Contact, Divergence, and
the Routinisation of the Fenland Dialect Boundary' Nik Coupland (Cardiff)
'Where does Welsh Begin and End? Ideological Boundary Disputes in the
Revitalisation of a Minority Language' Danny Dorling (Sheffield) 'If Lions
Could Talk: Mapping over the Borders'

Call for Papers

The BIC2010 organising committee welcomes abstracts for oral and poster
presentations on the theme of identity construction in borderland areas.
Papers need not have a principally linguistic focus.

Abstracts should not exceed 400 words in length, including references.
Please submit anonymised abstract(s)- in .rtf and PDF format - by e-mail to
bic2010events.york.ac.uk no later than 1st July 2009. Include your name and
affiliation, and those of any co-authors, in the accompanying e-mail.
Please also state whether you wish your paper to be considered for an oral
presentation or a poster if you have any preference.

Oral presentations

Papers will be allotted 30 minutes in total (20 mins for paper, 10 mins for
questions).

Poster presentations

Posters may be up to A0 size (841 × 1189mm), and should be prepared in
portrait format.

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK