Teaching linguistic anthropology courses online

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 5 21:33:34 UTC 2009

I have never taught linguistic anthropology on line but I am currently
teaching a disability studies class on line and I am really enjoying it.
 The greatest strength is the students.  Many of them have a great deal of
personal experience with disabilities, including have several students who
have disabilities and a number of others who are mothers of children with
disabilities or work in a setting of people with disabilities.  These are
people who would have never been able to meet in the same physical classroom
who are having very meaningful conversations with each other about really
important issues.

I think an online linguistic anthropology class might also draw a very
interesting range of students but I can see how the in person interaction
that lets students see how language works in action would be missed.  One
solution to this might be to have (if it was possible), a very media
intensive class like the one that Val describes.  Having the videos that are
getting transcribed in transcripts available to students I think would go a
long way to recreating in person interactions on the topic of language.

all best,

Leila

--
Leila Monaghan, PhD