Dell Hymes, 1927-2009

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 17 18:56:49 UTC 2009

>From Eve Danziger at the University of Virginia:

It is with sadness that we announce the death of our distinguished colleague
Dell Hathaway Hymes, Commonwealth Professor of Anthropology and English
(Emeritus) at the University of Virginia. Professor Hymes died peacefully on
Friday November 13, 2009 in Charlottesville, VA. A memorial service will be
held on Saturday November 21 at 1:00 at Peace Lutheran church, 1510 Broad
Crossing Rd, Charlottesville, VA. A memorial gathering has also been
organized at the upcoming meetings of the American Anthropological
Association in Philadelphia, PA. The gathering will take place on Saturday
December 5, 2009 from 7:30-9:30 pm in Grand Ballroom III of the Courtyard
Marriott hotel (downtown). Condolences may be addressed to Virginia Hymes
care of the Department of Anthropology, PO Box 400120, Charlottesville, VA,
22904-4120. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to the
Charlottesville Center for Peace and Justice (CCPJ) or a charity of choice.

Address for the Charlottesville Center for Peace and Justice:

http://www.charlottesvillepeace.org/

A short tribute from Jason Baird Jackson of Indiana University, passed on by
Kerim Friedman:

http://jasonbairdjackson.com/2009/11/16/dell-hymes-passing/

Obituaries passed on by his daughter, Alison Hymes:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dailyprogress/obituary.aspx?n=dell-hathaway-hymes&pid=136057660

http://www.leggo.it/articolo.php?id=34614

--
Leila Monaghan, PhD