CFP: Computational Models of Narrative

Mark Finlayson markaf at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 13 15:01:19 UTC 2010

Please feel free to forward to all interested parties.

Call for Participation:
-----------------------

AAAI 2010 Fall Symposium on
=================================
Computational Models of Narrative
=================================
November 11-13, 2010, Arlington, Virginia

Submissions Due:     Friday, May 14, 2010

Narratives are ubiquitous.  We use them to educate, communicate,
convince, explain, and entertain. As far as we know, every society has
narratives, which suggests they are deeply rooted and serve an important
cognitive function: that narratives do something for us.  It is clear
that, to fully explain human intelligence, beliefs, and behaviors, we
will have to understand and explain narrative.

Topics
------
Despite a revival of interest in the computational understanding of
narrative, there is still great uncertainty regarding fundamental
questions.  What does narrative do for us?  What exactly is narrative?
What representations are required to model narrative?  This symposium
will address fundamental topics and questions regarding the
computational modeling and scientific understanding of narrative.
Immediate technological applications, while not discouraged, are not
required. Questions include:

* What makes narrative different from a list of events or facts?  What
is special about the discourse that makes something a narrative, rather
than something else?

* What is the relationship between narrative and common sense?  Does
understanding narrative first require we understand common sense reasoning?

* How are narratives indexed and retrieved?  Is there a "universal"
scheme for encoding narratives?

* What impact does the purpose, function, and genre of a narrative have
on its form and content?

* Are there systematic differences in the formal properties of
narratives from different cultures?

* What comprises the set of possible narrative arcs?  Is there such a
set?  Is there a recipe for generating narratives?

* What are the appropriate representations for the computational
modeling of narrative?  What representations underlie the extraction of
narrative schemas from experience?

* How can we evaluate computational models of narrative?

The symposium will bring together researchers with a wide variety of
perspectives to share what is known about the fundamentals of the
computational modeling of narrative and to explore the forefront of that
knowledge.  We seek participation from as wide a variety of approaches
as possible, including not only AI researchers and technologists, but
also psychologists, cognitive scientists, linguists, philosophers,
narrative theorists, anthropologists, educators, storytellers, and
neuroscientists.

Submissions
-----------
Interested parties should send either a full paper (8 pages maximum) or
a position paper (2 pages maximum) as a AAAI-formatted PDF to
narrative-fs10 at csail.mit.edu. Accepted papers will be published in the
proceedings of the symposium, which will be released as a AAAI Symposium
technical report. For detailed formatting instructions, see the AAAI
website http://www.aaai.org/Publications/Author/author.php

Organizing Committee
* Mark Finlayson (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, CSAIL)
* Pablo Gervas (Universidad Complutense de Madrid)
* Erik Mueller (IBM)
* Srini Narayanan (ICSI and University of California at Berkeley)
* Patrick Winston (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, CSAIL)

For More Information
Web: http://narrative.csail.mit.edu/fs10
Email: narrative-fs10 at csail.mit.edu