Bilingual cognitiion

ervintripp at BERKELEY.EDU ervintripp at BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Aug 2 04:41:02 UTC 2010

The query raised by Rudi Gaudio was rephrased by Vivian Cook and Benedetta
Bassetti in a new book they have edited called Language and Bilingual
Cognition. Hove, UK:Psychology Press.

John Lucy has a chapter there,  and there are many papers on recent work
using bilinguals to assess questions about the relation of language and
cognition.

I had the beautiful experience of reconsidering the several studies I did
in the fifties and sixties on bilingual cognition, including two on
bilingual personality shift with language in verbal stories and
associations of French and Japanese bilinguals,
one on shifts in color term boundaries and on memory effects (these on
Navajo-English bilinguals) and one on gender affix effects on connotations
of nonsense words for Italians.  I was asked about  my views of more
recent studies, so I had the pleasure of thinking about the advances
in the new work.
I would be glad to send my manuscript to anyone interested, but the book
will be out before the end of this year.

Susan Ervin-Tripp
Professor Emerita
Psychology Dept   #1650
University of California