Fake Translations as Bilingual Humour

galey modan gmodan at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 22 09:30:54 UTC 2010

Just a quick note about the Wayne's world Cantonese-with-English-subtitles
theme. I always interpreted it, not as a reference to Cantonese being a
'compact' language, but rather as a play on old Chinese films with English
subtitles where people speak for minutes with only a few subtitles, giving
the idea that only a small portion of what's being said is actually being
translated.

Galey Modan