emic/etic divide in 21st century

Marcy Brink-Danan Marcy_Brink-Danan at BROWN.EDU
Mon Aug 30 18:10:47 UTC 2010

Dear Colleagues,

I am working on a project about the state of the emic/etic divide in 21st century
anthropology. If this idea was once standard in anthropological thought, recent work on
globalism, cosmopolitanism, etc., seems to challenge this divide as a meaningful
heuristic. I come to this question from a linguistic anthropology frame, but welcome
thoughts from colleagues in any branch of anthropology.

I would appreciate feedback on the topic, especially as concerns two main questions:
1. The first concern is about theory: How much does the emic/etic distinction condition
your anthropological research design, fieldwork and/or analysis? Has this changed over
time? If so, to what do you attribute this change?
2. The second concern is about teaching: How/what do you teach anthropology students
about this distinction? What (if any) pedagogical value does the emic/etic distinction
retain? Again, has this changed over the span of your career?

If you have written any articles/books/chapters about the topic that you would like
mentioned, please send relevant citations/PDFs. Less formal responses are also welcome.
Feel free to forward this message to other colleagues whose work has dealt with this
question.
I look forward to hearing your responses.

Best,

Marcy Brink-Danan, Ph.D.
Dorot Assistant Professor of Judaic Studies
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
Brown University
Box 1826
Marcy_Brink-Danan at brown.edu