Debate on language and thought

Alexander King a.king at ABDN.AC.UK
Thu Dec 16 11:10:35 UTC 2010

If debates started out with people pretty much agreeing with each other like this, then the genre would quickly die off. Boroditsky isn't very sophisticated in her reading of Whorf, is she? Nor are her comments on the Piraha case, which I assume is her 'evidence' for the 'can't count' phenomenon. Of course, if Piraha speakers decide they want to start counting batteries (the objects used in Gordon's flawed 'experiments'), they will figure it out just fine. The ironic thing is that the 'against' position by Liberman is the most Whorfian of the lot! The moderator strikes me as someone who never read Whorf, or at least no more carefully than the low half of my first-year students. As any careful reader of Whorf knows, the words, the vocabulary, are a teeny-tiny aspect of his point.

Alex

- tel:+44(1224)27 2732, fax:+44(1224)27 2552 - http://www.koryaks.net - http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology