Debate on language and thought

Scott F. Kiesling kiesling at PITT.EDU
Thu Dec 16 14:27:17 UTC 2010

IMHO, without any hard data to prove it, I do think people talk about
language more in terms of words rather than more abstract things. It
may be ideology, or it may be that words are just less abstract and
easier to talk about. There are popular books about words, but none
about linguistic constructions or sounds. When people talk about
dialects, they invariably cite words, sometimes as carriers for
pronunciation, but in general it seems that this kind of discourse
doesn't talk about constructions or phonemes, but words. And some
words become iconic of the sound, such as "dahntahn" for "downtown"
here in Pittsburgh. Also, even when the "needs Ved" (eg, that shirt
needs washed) construction is cited somewhere, people talk about
Pittsburghers leaving out the word 'be' in general (a student of mine
said it last week).

So I'm not surprised. Although one would think linguists would know
better, and perhaps educate.

SFK

--
Scott F. Kiesling, PhD