Semi-Structured Interviews

Maggie Ronkin ronkinm at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 2 01:55:13 UTC 2010

Hi Linganthers,
I am preparing an intensive interdisciplinary course in which small groups of very bright undergrads will design and conduct semi-structured interviews on topics in social development, such as education, health care, and minority rights.  The students then will interview international experts via videoconference and decide how to present what they learn from their interviews.  They will have just five weeks to design, carry out, and present their projects.  On the suggestion of a colleague, I am looking at using the Ethnographer's Toolkit, especially parts on designing and conducting ethnographic research, and on analyzing and interpreting ethnographic data ... I would welcome more suggestions of resources to give students one week of intensive preparation for semi-structured interviewing, as well as support in interpreting and presenting their interview data.  I cannot assume background in anthropology, although several students probably will have had an introductory course or two.
Thanks,Maggie Ronkin