Music related to Linguistics & Lx-Anthro?

Maggie Ronkin ronkinm at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 3 14:00:47 UTC 2010

Hi Linganth Folks,
Here's some of my playlist selected by a US student consultant and me last May for use with international students--undergrads using conventional resources such as Blum's Making Sense of Language and Finnegan's and Rickford's Language in the USA.  These are short courses that also incorporate videos and other media materials.  The students use English as an academic language and are up on youth culture.  Last summer's favorite activity was a small group project analyzing and contextualizing MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech (americanrhetoric.com is another useful resource that boasts "5000+ full text, audio and video versions of public speeches, sermons, legal proceedings, lectures, debates, interviews, other recorded media events, and a declaration or two.")
Best,Maggie
=============

Tracklist

Gender

1.      Sarah
McLachlan- Perfect Girl

2.      Shania
Twain- Any Man of Mine

3.      India
Arie- Talk to Her

4.      Fiona
Apple- Better Version of Me

5.      Erykah
Badu- Bag Lady

6.      M.I.A.-
Amazon

7.      Joan
Baez- Diamonds and Rust

8.      Bob
Dylan and Joan Baez- It Ain’t Me Babe from 1964 Newport Film Festival

i.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCvVNAtaiUg&feature=related

 Ethnicity

1.      Thelonius
Monk- Suburban Eyes

2.      George
Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic- Give up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the
Sucker)

3.      Taj
Mahal- Statesboro Blues

4.      Juanes-
La Paga

5.      Otis
Redding- Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay

6.      Fela
Kuti- Yellow Fever

7.      Stevie
Wonder- Living For the City

Hip-Hop

1.      Mos
Def & Talib Kweli- Astronomy (8th Light)

2.      MC
Solaar- Carpe Diem- French Hip-Hop

3.      Rahzel-
If Your Mother Only Knew- Rahzel is a famous beatboxer who makes all of the
noises in this song with his mouth at the same time. It’s really cool. Here is the
youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F_0cnPGO9Y&feature=related

4.      J
Dilla ft. Pharoahe Monch- We must be in love

5.      J-Pro
and Mos Def Freestyle- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOoruUopgpM&feature=PlayList&p=6C85B069619FAE23&index=10  This is an explanation of the Hip-Hop Cypher,
or freestyle group.

6.      Bohemia-
ek Tera Pyar Ft. Devika à
He is a rapper from Oakland, CA who raps in Urdu

a.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T8-GW7--sY&feature=channel

7.      Lupe
Fiasco- American Terrorist

a.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uso1k26YOac&feature=related

8.      Lauryn
Hill- Every Ghetto, Every City

a.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q41VCiVUIRU

9.      Talib
Kweli- I Try

a.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ookkQ5fvq8&feature=channel

10.  Common-
The Light video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_-qRcHAhzk

11.  Blackstar-
Respiration video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a468KFhbhXQ&feature=related

Language as Social Action

1.      Marvin
Gaye- What’s Going On

2.      Bob
Dylan- Blowin’ In the Wind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ced8o50G9kg&feature=related

3.      Common—Letter
to the Law

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LssFolrpiD4&feature=related

This is a Def Jam Poetry spoken word session
by hip-hop artist Common

4.      Gil
Scott-Heron- The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

5.      Martin
Luther King Jr.- I have a dream speech- video and audio file on disk drive.

a.      Text
at http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

6.      Brother
Ali- Shadows on the Sun

7.      Lauryn
Hill- Motives and Thoughts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1TZO_sOsVo&feature=related

This is a Def Jam Poetry spoken word session
by Lauryn Hill

8.      Pete
Seeger & Bruce Springsteen- This Land is Your Land (Inauguration)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YlLtmMV8zs

9.      Mahalia
Jackson- We Shall Overcome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmR1YvfIGng

10.  Bruce
Springsteen- Born in the USA

11.  G-Soul-
Change is Going to Come http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LN-Iskza_U&feature=related

12.  Bruce
Springsteen- Born in the USA clip- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB2GKVGU_Xk&feature=channel_page

13.  Rev.
W. Leo Daniels- You Can Survive the Fiery Furnace

a.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANJJmB3VK-Q&feature=related

14.  Peter,
Paul, & Mary- The Times They Are A Changin’ 1964 Newport Festival

a.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0bFTq0Ivgk&feature=related

15.  U2-In
the Name of love at Obama inauguration

a.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNhTFeCF2kM

Youth

1.      Miley
Cyrus- See You Again

2.      Kid
Cudi- Day n’ Nite

3.      Justice-
D.A.N.C.E – A DJ duo on a French record label- electronic dance music

4.      Ghana
Force- We Be Go (Ye Be Ko)- African Hip-Hop/Reggae

5.      Junoon-
Sayonee

6.      Bob
Marley- I Shot the Sheriff

7.      Britney
Spears- Circus

8.      Rebelde-
Nuestro Amor

Native American

1.      Murray
Porter- 1492 Who Found Who

2.      Joanne
Shenandoah- You Can Hear Them Dancing

3.      Mike
Trailwalker Wilson- Custer

4.      Ulali-
Going Home

5.      Cherokee
Nation Children’s Choir- Going Home

6.      R.
Carlos Nakai- Two World Concerto: II. Lake That Speaks

7.      Brent
Michael Davids- Indians Win Again

8.      Buffy
Sainte-Marie- Up Where We Belong

9.      Robert
Mirabal- The Dance

Native
American Indian War Dance By Cherokee Tribe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEl-yJQvXaE&feature=related

Native
American Women’s Dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxE7TQGXAjQ&feature=related

Region and Class

1.      Ricky
Skaggs- Ridin’ That Midnight Train

2.      Jim
Nunally- Bluegrass Medley

3.      Hot
Rize- High On a Mountain

4.      Dry
Branch Fire Squad- Standing By The River

5.      The
Del McCoury Band- Travelin’ Teardrop Blues

6.      Bill
Monroe- Blue Moon of Kentucky