Music related to Linguistics & Lx-Anthro?

Susanne B. Unger sbu at UMICH.EDU
Wed Feb 3 18:23:44 UTC 2010

Hi,

how about Talk Talk by Talk Talk -- perhaps for a unit on language
socialization or on linguistic functions (metalinguistics)?

Best wishes, Susanne

> On Feb 3, 2010, at 2:50 AM, Richard J Senghas wrote:
>
>> Hey LingAnthers,
>>
>> I am looking for music (popular, obscure, whatever) that plays with
>> linguistic (& especially anthropological) topics.
>>
>> I am now teaching a somewhat large (~70 students) undergraduate,
>> lower division Introduction to Linguistic Anthropology course.  It
>> hits us at that just-before-and-going-into dinner hour, when
>> students, even those interested in the topics, begin to fade as
>> their blood sugar-levels drop, and the daylight begins to fade
>> (especially now).  When I taught my Intro to Cultural Anthro
>> course, I found that playing relevant, especially upbeat, music
>> just before class started helped up the energy for the class
>> session, and I would like to use this trick again in this course.
>> I also found that many of the students started to pick up on the
>> anthropological themes I planted in these selections.  By the end
>> of the semester, students started asking me for my sources, often
>> asking me if they had indeed figured out the thematic connections.
>> (In a very real sense, this became a not-grade-related extra credit
>> opportunity.)
>>
>> I plan to start with some more obvious choices (e.g., Laurie
>> Anderson's "Language is a Virus" from her "Home of the Brave"
>> album), but I'm looking for other pieces for later this semester.
>> Do you have any tracks you'd recommend?  If the topic is obscure, I
>> wouldn't mind being given hints at the reason for your choices,
>> though we could make it a game for this list if you choose to
>> respond on-list.  And energetic music is preferred; we're looking
>> to juice them up!
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> -RJS
>> Richard J. Senghas, Professor            | Sonoma State University
>> Department of Anthropology               | 1801 East Cotati Avenue
>> Human Development Program                | Rohnert Park, CA 94928-3609
>> Richard.Senghas[at]sonoma.edu            | 707-664-3920 (fax)

Susanne B.Unger
Ph.D. Candidate, Anthropology
Certificate Student, Screen Arts and Cultures
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor