Music related to Linguistics & Lx-Anthro?

Harriet J. Ottenheimer mahafan at KSU.EDU
Thu Feb 4 02:30:01 UTC 2010

A few quick suggestions:

"Let's Call the Whole Thing Off"  (often known as "you say tomato and I
say tomahto")  The Billie Holiday version is probably the liveliest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoUSrtw6gJs&feature=related
but there are other versions (Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, e.g.)

"Who Put the Alphabet in Alphabetical Order?" by They Might Be Giants
(or "Alphabet of Nations", or lots of other peppy choices)

A classic by now, and one that has always intrigued students, is Miriam
Makeba's "Click Song"
Even this one can be found on youtube!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxkiXALQjU

"The Name Game" by Shirley Ellis
(a kind of a pig-latin approach to playing with names)
(one example of this on youtube is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MJLi5_dyn0&feature=related)

"Sweet Lullaby" by Deep Forest is a fascinating mix of Baka chant and
French electronic overlay and remix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPPsS4-Dsxg&feature=related
and was always a favorite of students.  It's just nice to listen to,
even if it doesn't have any particular linguistic theme (although one
could talk about appropriation!)

Cheers,
Harriet Ottenheimer

--

2010 Annual Central States Anthropological Society Conference
April 8-11, 2010 -- Madison, Wisconsin

For the most up-to-date conference information go to:
http://www.creighton.edu/groups/csas/annualmeeting/index.php