Music related to Linguistics & Lx-Anthro?

Alexandre Enkerli enkerli at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 5 04:46:28 UTC 2010

If you do sound symbolism, this one may be interesting:
Daniela Mercury "Groove Da Baiana" from /Sol Da Liberade/.
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/groove-da-baiana/id311571977?i=311571998

Disclaimer, I don't understand a word of Brazilan Portuguese. But, when it
came up in my playlist, it made me think of sound symbolism and I think
there might be both onomatopoeia and broader forms of sound symbolism in
there.
And it's definitely upbeat.

The only transcriptions I can find for those lyrics are on annoying sites
with popups and such. So I won't post a link.
>From what little I can get, the song does talk about music (what some
ethnomusicologists tend to label "metalinguistic," though it's more
metamusical than anything). Actually, it seems to be about learning the
musical genre, with relationships to either Creole language or culture.
There are other cultural references including food and beverages.
What sounded like bell onomatopoeia is apparently a version of "tem" which,
if I understand correctly, is a form of the auxiliary verb "to have."
Funnily enough, the part which seemed most "sound symbolic," to me, looks
like the French term «prêt-à-porter» but pronounced in a rather specific
way. Loanwords, ideophones, and sound symbolism do tend to share certain
characteristics, right?

Anyhoo... Not sure it's that useful but, if I were a student in Richard's
class and if sound symbolism were a topic in that class, I'd give this one
as an example and get in touch with a native speaker of Brazilian
Portuguese.

Just sayin'.

--
Alexandre