Video Phenomena

Alexandre Enkerli enkerli at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 8 13:03:24 UTC 2010

Actually, in the playlist under the video Jess sent, there's a mention of
"Numa Numa Guy." If you don't know, it comes from yet another "viral video,"
which students may not have seen and which could also be the basis for some
discussion.
In that video, Gary Brolsma recorded himself while reacting to "Dragonstea
Din Tei," from Moldavian band O-Zone.
Brolsma's video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60og9gwKh1o
O-Zone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRx5PrAlUdY

Now, those videos aren't self-explanatory in their connection to linguistic
anthropology. But this might be where students can contribute more.
If it were me, I'd probably include them in a section on language and
globalization. In a way, what this "Internet phenomenon" makes clear is that
music isn't a universal language. Of course, there are many ways to get this
point across. But depending on who the students are, this one might be quite
effective.

And this one, in which Gary Brolsma appears, is all about intertextuality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoFMRXlNJ6Y