Video Phenomena

Alexandre Enkerli enkerli at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 8 21:41:50 UTC 2010

Mike Wesch has other videos which have LingAnth significance, in my humble
opinion.
For instance, the personal democracy one has a portion on the cultural
history of "whatever":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6eMdMZezAQ

And the Manitoba one on media literacy could be used in a dicussion of...
literacy. (Possibly his most academic video.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4yApagnr0s

On "auditory hallucinations" (I thought it was a common concept in English
too, though it might be more popular in French), they could probably serve
several purposes, in LingAnth courses. Typically, in Francophone
communities, we use them for entertainment value. But it's quite likely that
a latent function is to negotiate the status of different languages.
Especially when they have to do with the dominance of songs in English. In a
way, it could even have to do with claiming limited understanding of
English.

Here in Quebec, a French-speaking "morning zoo" show ("Y'é trop d'bonne
heure" on CKOI, a popular station with a named pronounced like "it's what?"
or "What is it?") used to have a segment called "Les hallucinations du
tigre" (as a play on "hallucinations auditives"). Part of the game
was  actually to build a story around the misheard quotes. I vaguely
remember one based on a cyclist hurting himself. One "hallucination" was
from a song in Maninka by Salif Keita in which it allegedly said "Mon bel
Acadien tes p'tites pommes" ("My nice Acadian man, your little apples" with
the allusion being to the man's testicles).
Some examples were much longer but the only one I remember very precisely is
"(I've been through every single) book I know" in Sting's /Be Still My
Beating Heart/ which was heard as "des beaux cadeaux" ("some nice gifts").

Cheers!

--
Alexandre
http://enkerli.com/