Call for Social Justice teaching materials

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 8 17:54:01 UTC 2010

Apologies for reposting, wanted to get the subject line correct:

Dear Linganth members:

The Committee on Language and Social Justice invites you to contribute
materials you find useful when teaching on this topic to a web-based
teaching archive.  This will be a place where AAA members can access:

1) syllabi or sections of syllabi having to do with language and social
justice

2) links to web resources for use in teaching

3) other uploaded materials [e.g. video supplements to articles; collections
of materials personally gathered]

Examples of the above might include: websites you use to teach Mock Spanish;
advertisements that present certain attitudes towards immigrants and their
languages; video clips that illustrate language ideologies towards African
American English.

There are two ways to enter information:

1. Via Webform at

http://www.linguisticanthropology.org/resources/submitting-teaching-resources/

(Password: "socialjustice")

This is an easy to use form for uploading materials. You specify the tags
and the links, along with any comments for how you use the materials, what
you have found works best, etc.

2. Via email

You can also just email items directly to our webmaster, Alex Enkerli, at
slawebguru at gmail.com

Once we have gathered enough items, we will organize and post them at a
password-protected website. If this endeavor proves to be productive, we
hope that SLA may use this model to compile teaching resources for other
topics in linguistic anthropology.

Thank you for your contributions and for participating in this project,

Adrienne Lo and Leila Monaghan