Fake Translations as Bilingual Humour

Peterson, Mark Allen Dr. petersm2 at MUOHIO.EDU
Sat Jul 10 11:30:19 UTC 2010

There is, of course, the classic Monty Python sketch about the Hungarian phraseboook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akbflkF_1zY

Mark

Mark Allen Peterson
Acting Chair, Anthropology Department
& Associate Professor, International Studies Program
petersm2 at muohio.edu
164 Upham Hall
Miami University
Oxford OH 45056
(513) 529-5018 (office)
(513) 529-8396 (fax)
From: Linguistic Anthropology Discussion Group [LINGANTH at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Kerim Friedman [oxusnet at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2010 12:44 AM
To: LINGANTH at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Fake Translations as Bilingual Humour

Fake translations are something of an Internet meme here in Taiwan. You can
find hundreds of YouTube videos with fake subtitles for non-Chinese songs.
There is usually some effort to match the sound of the song. This is similar
to the endless "Hitler is upset about X" videos with fake subtitles for the
bunker scene in Downfall. In a related vein, there is a video one can find
of an Italian singer singing in "fake English" which sounds something like
what English sounds like to an Italian. See samples below.

Cheers,

Kerim

Sample 1:

There is a popular youtube clip of a Tamil film version of Michael Jackson's
thriller. Here some students re-enact the Tamil film, with their own
subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1tVc7oXvYA

Sample 2:

You can understand this better by seeing an example of this kind of fake
subtitling of Indian songs in English:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLpROhIg9eA

Sample 3:

Hitler finds out about another Downfall parody:

http://FunnyOrDie.co.uk/m/2xir

Sample 4:

What English sounds like to Italians: Prisencolinensinainciusol, written by
Adriano Celentano, 1972

http://boingboing.net/2009/12/17/gibberish-rock-song.html