FW: Posting an call for abstracts

Kephart, Ronald rkephart at UNF.EDU
Wed Jul 21 15:15:47 UTC 2010

Folks, This CFP was rejected so I am forwarding it to the list.

Ron

------ Forwarded Message
From: Jennifer Reynolds <jreynold at mailbox.sc.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:33:18 -0400
To: <LINGANTH-request at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Subject: Posting an call for abstracts

I tried to post an announcement on LINGANTH, but it was rejected.  Please
instruct me what I need to do.  Below was the announcement that I wanted to
circulate.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dear Colleagues,

My panel co-organizer and I are seeking to include a few more paper
presentations in our double panel ("Figuring Citizenship: Children & Youth's
Communicative Practices and the Cultural Politics of Citizenship"), which
has been accepted as part of the International Pragmatics Association's
conference to be held in July 2011 in Manchester, UK.  Dr. Ben Rampton will
be the discussant. Please see the abstract below and contact me with your
paper idea if you are interested in joining the panel. My email address is:
jreynold at mailbox.sc.edu

Jennifer F. Reynolds

*            *            *

Panel abstract: Figuring Citizenship: Children & Youth's Communicative
Practices and the Cultural Politics of Citizenship

Panel co-organizers:  Jennifer F. Reynolds (Associate Professor, University
of South Carolina) & Elaine Chun (Assistant Professor, University of South
Carolina)

Panel discussant:  Ben Rampton

Social scientists are well aware of the roles that adult-centered
institutions and discourses play in imagining nations (e.g., Anderson 1983),
but most have tended to pay less attention to how children and youth
actively negotiate, contend with, and recreate their own citizenships. The
papers in our panel participate in on-going scholarly exchanges within
linguistic anthropology and sociolinguistics to examine the myriad ways
children and youth assert their own forms of collective belonging across and
within nation states that often belie hegemonic neoliberal individualism and
legal citizenship. Rather than reducing citizenship to a mere legal status,
we are interested in the various and local ways of "doing citizenship," or
engaging in linguistic and other symbolic practices that position
individuals in relation to "the nation," and often multiple nations. We
explore how citizenship can have multiple and complex meanings for children
and youth and how these meanings are necessarily tied to discourses of race
(as some racialized bodies are excluded from full citizenship) as well as
gender (as expressions of national pride may be locally gendered) and class
(as immigrant labor or cosmopolitan leisure may threaten hegemonic
definitions of citizenship). Additionally, we examine how children and youth
contend with their own citizenships in different ways: they may reject
racializing discourses that seek to deny them full citizenship rights,
resist institutional forms of inculcating national allegiances, embrace
citizenship practices strategically in order to project a locally valued
persona, create alternative practices of civic participation, and even deny
the inclusion of others as acceptable citizens.

The papers display a range of societal and multi-ethnic contexts where
notions of citizenship are necessarily salient, multiple, and contested,
namely those in transnational and immigrant communities. In addition, each
of our studies assumes language to be a central resource for creating and
contesting citizenships, for example, by drawing on multiple linguistic
codes to index national loyalties, performing gendered and classed language
styles as resistance to hegemonic idealizations of citizenship, and
positioning selves and others in narratives about citizenship. We focus in
particular on face-to-face negotiations of citizenship, given that they
reflect key moments in which youth contend with the complex ways of being a
citizen. We also seek to move beyond multiculturalist idealizations of
transnational settings: we recognize that youth may reproduce gendered,
racialized, and classed images of citizenship and that locally emergent
citizenship practices are products of global socio-historical and political
processes that connect, value and regiment people across diverse social
spaces and places.

------ End of Forwarded Message